Repair Tool #
Available in Free, Pro, and Premium editions of Lychee Slicer
The Repair tool allows you to repair most of the defects of the 3D models you have imported into the application: holes, inverted faces, unwelded geometry, and more.
The 3D models must be free of defects in their structure. Otherwise, at best, issues may appear during the 3D printing process, and at worst, some tools may produce unexpected results.
3D models with errors are automatically detected when loaded into the application and displayed in red in the Layout workspace. In addition, an error icon appears to the right of their name in the Object List.
We strongly advise you to repair these 3D models.
Note: Objects in error are not displayed in red color in the Prepare and Export workspaces.
The model above is in error, as shown by its red color and the sign on the Object List(1). Note on the right of the interface the Repair 3D model button that is available (2)… Model by Maarten Verhoeven.
The Repair tool is located in the Layout workspace on the right of the viewport as a part of the object editor.
To fix a model:
- Select one or more 3D models displayed in error (red color).
- In the Layout workspace, go to the Object Editor, located on the right side of the user interface.
- Click on the Repair 3D Model button to start the repair process: depending on the complexity of the model, the number of errors, and the number of polygons, the process may take some time.
- When the process is complete, a window displays a summary of the repair process. It will also indicate if the model(s) could not be repaired.
- The corrected model(s) are then displayed in the default color and no longer in red.
The message indicates that the 3D model has been successfully repaired.
- It is not possible to restart the repair process on a 3D model that could not be fixed by the tool before.
- A 3D model, once fixed, is not saved to replace the original file. The source file remains unchanged. However, if the 3D model is saved in the native Lychee Slicer (.LYS) format, the model will be automatically fixed each time the scene is loaded.
What to do if a model can’t be fixed #
The model may not be repaired at the end of the repair process. Although the Lychee Slicer repair tool is robust and fixes most errors, some critical ones cannot be repaired.
In this case you have several options:
- Use advanced STL fix tools, like Autodesk Netfabb (Trial still allows 3D export when expires) or Autodesk Fusion 360 (Starter edition is free for non-commercial usage), or some other online fixing tools. However, it may be possible that such tools may not be able to fix your model.
- Use a modeling tool like ZBrush or Blender to rebuild the model topology. However, these tools are for advanced users.
- If it’s a purchased model, contact the seller and ask if they can provide you error free models.
Auto Repair on Loading #
It is possible to ask the application to automatically repair the 3D model if it is in error on loading.
You can activate the option in File >> Preferences >> Model Repair.
Warning! Activating this option is very useful, but it will slow down the loading of files if you only want to consult them without preparing them.